[LRUG] This list is terrible. This list is brilliant.

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 14:22:53 PDT 2013

So, that's been quite the last few days.

I think we've seen the worst of this list from all sides; clueless
externals and snarky internals.  But!  We've also seen the best of it with
our last few threads; people having smart, in-depth, useful discussions.

I don't want to focus on the bad, it should be pretty obvious what is and
isn't cool.  Just remember that you are talking to another human being.
 Show a little civility and we'll all get on fine.

People will mimic the behaviour they see already present on the list, and
it can't escape anyone's notice that we can go for long stretches where
it's just me announcing meetings and loads of job ads.  When that's all
there is, there's no connection to the other members and it's easy to let
slip a little snark.

So how about we try to stop the list from stagnating?  Happily a bunch of
you have obviously had this idea already and are showing what the list is
good at.  Keep it up!  I'm not saying you all have to post a new discussion
topic every day (none of us would get any work done!), but just remember
that alongside stack overflow, hacker news, twitter, coderwall, and all the
other sources you'd use to ask questions or muse about new topics there's
still this humble old list.  This list is full of smart, funny, and nice
people that you can actually meet at least once a month and thank them for
their response to your question.  Imagine that.

If we're lucky we'll be able to entice some of the folk that left on
Tuesday to come back.  That'd be nice, wouldn't it?  Let's try and I will,
as always, remain,

Your hopeful organis-a-tron,

Muz