[LRUG] Objects and on Hexagonal Rails

Sleepyfox sleepyfox at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 07:25:30 PDT 2013

In my experience the fear of change is something that you want to be wary
of. Good developers are willing to look at new tools and techniques, and
are happy to experiment accordingly.

Whenever someone tells me 'oh, we could never do that, because ...' then I
ask them 'if that is true, then can you think of a way in which we *could*
do that?' - the answer will tell you a lot about the kind of person you are
talking to.

It may be that you have a developer that feels so hard-pressed by deadlines
that they have no slack in which to accommodate an experiment to see if a
new way of doing something might offer advantages. This is an
organisational dysfunction that will prevent a team from improving.

It may be that you have a developer that is so set in their ways that they
cannot understand the benefit of a new way of doing something. This is a
challenge with the person rather than the organisation (unless it is your
organisation that has made them that way).

Try 5 Whys, and figure out for yourself why it is that this person is
resistant to change.

On the subject of greenfield projects, this is an excellent time to start a
new change, people have a chance to learn before starting, and you can
pair-program with new recruits (whether sourced internally or externally)
to mentor them into the project's new ways of doing things. I would
recommend making sure that you have at least one person that is familiar
with the technique before starting a project with it in anger, if you
currently don't have this then consider doing a Proof-Of-Concept
mini-project in order to both prove the technique's worth and also to get
some valuable experience and learning under your belt.

Best of luck,

Fox
--
@sleepyfox https://twitter.com/sleepyfox