[LRUG] [JOBS] dressipi is looking for a rails developer (London, Permanent)

Frederick Cheung frederick.cheung at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:56:36 PDT 2013

Hi,

You may remember me from the FFI and elasticsearch talks I've done at LRUG in the past year, but if not, I'm the CTO at dressipi. I spoke to a few people last night about the sort of person we're trying to hire and have now got around to putting it on our jobs page: dressipi.com/jobs

We're building a personal virtual online styling service, so the app is a mixture of collaborative filtering type taste recommendations and rule driven expert advice from our stylists. As well as our consumer facing website we also provide our technology as a service to retailers (e.g. Marks & Spencer) and have a bunch more retailer deals lined up to work on over the next few months.

You don't need to be a fashionista (if you've ever met me you'll know that I'm definitely not!), but you do need to be at home working on rails apps, taking complicated problems apart and learning new technologies.

Techwise we've got
- a collection of rails 3.2 apps running on ruby 1.9.3 (ruby 2.0 in sight)
- some C++ to make the recommendation engine sing
- elasticsearch (with some custom plugins to help it work with the recommendation engine)
- haml/sass/coffeescript at the front end. We're moving towards using backbone to help keep our frontend code organised and easy to understand, with tests using teabag but some of the older code hasn't been updated to fit that pattern
- tests courtesy of rspec (we've found we're happier writing request specs than cucumber stories)
- deployed on EC2, using fog for all the AWS wrangling

We're looking for permanent members of staff who can join us at our London office, just off Great Portland street. We're a friendly bunch and always go out for a burger on a thursday (I highly recommend patty and bun if you've not been there before).

If you are an agency/recruiter, *please* don't bother. I'll call you if I need you and an inability to respect simple requests will ensure I will not be working with you.

Please do contact me off-list if you would like more details.

Fred

CTO & resident Ruby Hero
Dressipi