[LRUG] Rails 4 & Assets

Oliver Legg ollylegg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 02:55:50 PDT 2013

> I suppose my real worry is that suddenly you have to do something *different* to compile the assets.  It's not a big enough worry to avoid doing it, but I like to minimise anything in an app where doing a standard rails-y thing has to be done differently for <%= reasons %> as it's a stumbling block for new developers (or even yourself from the future)

Agreed. Straying from The Golden Path, isn't going to be great in the long term. I'm not too sure why the assets group was removed, there is a discussion on this commit[1], but IMO this seems like purity over pragmatism.

[1]: https://github.com/rails/sprockets-rails/commit/bbc19aa2f54abb5dcddfc0a9bb0ec79b34bde128