[LRUG] MySql connection problems

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Mon Mar 4 09:05:28 PST 2013

> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:33:36 +0000
> From: "Ed James (Alt)" <ed.james.spam at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LRUG] MySql connection problems
>
> Setting the timeout values unfortunately has no effect. When we tried this on a server console, we were getting the error within a second (when we got the error of course).
> :(

A client has a similar problem at the moment, also experiencing mystery connection drops when talking to an RDS instance via Rails 2 ActiveRecord, and also not tractable by adjusting timeouts or max_allowed_packet size.

So far we haven't figured out what's wrong, and despite the many wonderful things about RDS, there is no access to the MySQL server logs, so troubleshooting is hard.

I don't have any bright ideas at the moment short of trying to reproduce it with a regular MySQL instance where we can see the logs.

Regards,
John
--
Bitfield Consulting: we make software that makes things work
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/