[LRUG] [JOBS] Contractor required for rails project

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 03:12:48 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've had to pass up a contracting opportunity that has the potential to be
pretty interesting recently, but thought I'd pass the details on to anyone
here who might be interested.

The job is for the John Lewis Partnership, via these guys:
http://www.fat-man-collective.com/hello.php, and it's an internal tool to
administer John Lewis's internal perks and rewards scheme for their
partners.

There are several new features that they require, including a mobile UI
(Fatman have some really good designers who you'll be able to work closely
with on this), and integration with a third-party payment system, as well
as a few other things - I've been told that JLP are also really receptive
to interesting suggestions for features, and are willing to invest in
developing them if they like them, so there's plenty of scope for adding to
the project in interesting ways.

One catch is that their existing codebase has no test coverage, and (based
on a cursory browse of their git repo) could do with a fair bit of
refactoring - the clients understand this though, and having run them
through using cucumber to specify features and test them, they are very
enthusiastic about working in a BDD style, and are very happy to pay for
some development time to bring the test coverage up to scratch before
starting work on the new features.

If you're interested, then please get in touch with me directly, I'll then
pass your details onto my friend at Fatman.

I hope it should go without saying, but NO AGENCIES PLEASE - I'm not
actually hiring and firing for these guys, just doing a favour for a friend.

Thanks,

Tim