[LRUG] Where would you look for a job or next hire?

Adrian Sevitz adrian at vzaar.com
Fri May 24 01:32:57 PDT 2013

Jobs boards have mostly failed us. I've used http://www.authenticjobs.com a few times as it doesn't make me feel dirty. I throw things on Gumtree because it's cheap (and gets picked up by sites like http://www.adzuna.co.uk) but I've found jobs boards really don't work.

Ditto to what everyone has said about US centric boards (stack overflow, github, 37 signals etcs)

Also if you're going to use recruiters, don't bother with jobs boards as they are on them anyway. Save your money.

The big problem with boards is the market is fractured. People might check 3 or 4 boards. But there are 30 you can post too. So you can spend a lot of money and go no where. We've landed up using agencies.

Which whilst frustrating, has yielded some success. Although that said we've only made one pure ruby hire through agencies. Our other two ruby dev's came to us organically. DevOps we recurited through agency as well as front end, flash, and h5.

Agency does take more time in some ways as you have to field a lot of calls. And a lot of lies. I don't think the realise I sit next to the person who answers calls. So I know what lies they give to get through to me. That said they're not all bad.

This is quite good time as I put our NTR (note to recruiters) public today.

https://github.com/vzaar/note-to-recruiters/blob/master/ntr.md

We're open sourcing it and are quite happy to have anyone use it. Hopefully other we can draw in some more people to improve it and it can work well for lots of other people. If you're going to work with agencies, having a decent streamlined process can work.

Since I don't want to get sued for libel, there's no public black list of bad agencies (although we have an internal one). But I thought we could white list good agencies and recommendations. And if a good agency turns bad they can be removed from the list (no libel for removal).

So if others feel this is useful, please use it. And if you have ideas, please get in touch (here on github or direct).

Sev

On 23 May 2013, at 20:45, chat-request at lists.lrug.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 19:03:33 +0100
> From: Thayer Prime <thayer at team-prime.com>
> To: London Ruby Users Group <chat at lists.lrug.org>
> Subject: [LRUG] Where would you look for a job or next hire?
>
> tl;dr > What jobs board do you use (or would you if you had to..) look
> for a new job? / Have you successfully used any boards to hire ruby
> devs?
>
> Longer > Normally I source folks from my personal/professional network
> for teams we build for clients, but in the last year and future
> facing, demand has out striped what that can supply in a timely
> fashion, and I'm starting to *consider* advertising. I'm very wary of
> it though, my personal ethos is the best folks come from
> recommendations and head hunts. But hey, I'm up for giving it a try.
>
> Also, if you've recruited yourself (as a direct company or agency) and
> have any tips on which boards have good developers on, that'd be very
> useful too.
>
> I was thinking of starting with GitHub and StackOverflow. I'll report
> back on how I get on if anyone would find it useful.
>
> --
> Thayer Prime
> CEO & Founder
> Team Prime Ltd