[LRUG] Weird git problem

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Fri May 24 03:05:33 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013, at 12:01, Graham Ashton <graham at effectif.com> wrote:
> Very weird. Just to rule out other scripts/binaries, do `which git` and `type git` return the things you'd expect?
>
> cape% which git
> /usr/local/bin/git
> cape% type git
> git is hashed (/usr/local/bin/hub)
> cape% file `which git`
> /usr/local/bin/git: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

$ which git
/usr/local/bin/git

$ type git
git is /usr/local/bin/git

$ file `which git`
/usr/local/bin/git: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

> Is the behaviour reproducible if you start a new login shell?

Yes.

> Any changes to shell config files in the last few hours?

Don't think so.

I've just noticed this might be related to the pager git uses.  My previous examples were on a repo with >1000 commits.  Just now I was in a new repo with 2 commits and observed this:

$ git log             # no output
$ git log | head      # expected output
$ git --no-pager log  # expected output

Just digging into the implications now...