[LRUG] ADVICE

Alex Heeton alex at heeton.me
Fri May 24 03:10:53 PDT 2013

Rob,

I can only share my bad personal experiences. I'm a freelancer and happy to
accept roles via recruiters, but I ask one thing:

Here's what I'm good at and what I'm looking for. Please only talk to me
> about positions that are a good fit for me.

I tell this to everyone who contacts me, and invariably the next message is
something like

Here are 3 roles that match your skills, could you have a look and let me
> know which ones you are interested in?

The roles don't match my skills or goals, and normally show a stupidly big
range from 30k junior developer to 90k senior sysadmin.

When Enthuse.me used a recruiter, he contacted me about the role, not even
doing some basic checks to find out that I *already* worked there.

I've only ever experienced this dumb shotgun-scatter recruitment. Perhaps
there are better recruiters, but I've yet to work with one :)

~Alex

 Message: 2