[LRUG] Fwd: ADVICE

Thayer Prime thayer at team-prime.com
Fri May 24 03:24:08 PDT 2013

Sent this off list originally, but as this is becoming a discussion,
here's my response:

Hey Rob,

As a quick summary as to why ppl (employers and employees) don't like
recruiters, in my experience 90%+:

* don't work in the best interests of anyone but themselves and their commission
* make work for the employer, rather than reduce it
* charge very high rates
* indulge in unethical practices

I could go on, but I won't. Google for as much recruiter flaming as
you're keen on hearing.

In my personal experience alone, I've come across recruiters who have:

* had no understanding or personal experience of the space they're
working in, at all
* called companies pretending to be from HMRC doing a staff audit, to
then poach staff (pre linkedin)
* sent over numerous incorrect CVs wasting clients' time (I've even
heard of double figures!)
* found out where a candidate is on interview, and then sabotaged the
interview so they can place them with their clients
* sent CVs to clients they had no clearance from the candidate in
doing so creating all sorts of bad
(http://www.team-prime.com/blog/why-candidates-should-always-know-who-sees-your-details/)

... and more and more and more.

Sadly, it's an industry that people can make big bucks regardless of
their morals and ethics and smarts, because companies can get
desperate when they need to expand and will work with folks who appear
to be able to help, without doing too much research into what that
recruiter is really like, and so the problem persists.

Good luck though: being a good recruiter in a sea of mostly bad is very very
hard work, but achievable. I've been a sole female programmer
in large teams of men, and a woman in technology all my life and found
nothing as soul destroying or hard as when I was a "traditional"
commission based recruiter (I managed a year in my early twenties).
For me, mixing it up and basing my niche around building teams and
never pitching for business (everything we do is from referral or
request) means we never have to worry about how to sell, and also
means folks want to work with us from the get go. Which is nice.

Also if it's useful for you to know, we work 95% on _non commission_
based models (so, like a partner), only using commission if a client
will only work in that way. It's my least preferred way of working.

Lastly, I wrote a post asking the community to highlight good tech
recruiters, if it's useful for anyone on list for your PSLs:
http://thayerprime.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/who-are-the-best-technology-recruitment-agents-in-london/

Thayer