[LRUG] Weird git problem

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Fri May 24 03:01:28 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013, at 10:54, Andrew Stewart <boss at airbladesoftware.com> wrote:

> Sometime in the last few hours git started misbehaving for me across all repos.  For example:
>
> $ git log                       # works
> $ git log -3                    # nothing shown; exit code 0

Very weird. Just to rule out other scripts/binaries, do `which git` and `type git` return the things you'd expect?

cape% which git
/usr/local/bin/git
cape% type git
git is hashed (/usr/local/bin/hub)
cape% file `which git`
/usr/local/bin/git: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Is the behaviour reproducible if you start a new login shell?

Any changes to shell config files in the last few hours?

I'd take a backup of .git immediately if I was you.

> I'm on git v1.8.2.3 installed via Homebrew on OS X 10.8.3.

I'm on 1.8.2.1, and have had no issues.

--
Graham Ashton
Founder, Agile Planner