[LRUG] ADVICE

Frederick Cheung frederick.cheung at gmail.com
Fri May 24 08:37:31 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013, at 16:29, Paul Battley <pbattley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't hate recruiters, but most of the contact I get from them is
> just a waste of time. The vast majority of emails I'm sent are low on
> information and high on hyperbole: the only content is often "there is
> a job". But I *know* there's a job. There are lots of jobs around!
> Tell me why I might be interested. "Salary up to £X", or puffery like
> "exciting company" doesn't tell me anything.
>
> I'm also astonished by the number of recruiters who try to push
> communications to phone calls. It makes me wonder if they've met many
> developers.

I'm just astonished by the number of recruitment agencies who see an ad that says "no agencies please" and then think it would be a wonderful idea to contact me. That only wastes about 10 seconds each time it happens but it seems so unnecessary.

As a tongue in cheek don't send me those sorts of emails, I put words to the effect of "if you're a recruiter go set yourself on fire" on the about me page of my blog (so long ago that I had forgotten it was there). One particular recruiter took that as a cue to email my CEO about how offended he was (with a picture of a tibetan monk on fire attached).

Fred