[LRUG] ADVICE

Matthew Bradburn matthew.bradburn at njfeurope.com
Fri May 24 09:33:58 PDT 2013

I want to send an open letter to all of you that feel both used and
abused by people in my industry.

It makes me very sad, but I see this behaviour on an almost daily basis
(you think tech recruiters are bad - you haven't encountered the
recruiters that recruit recruiters to work at another recruiter - aka
R2Rs.)

Those of us that got into it to work with start-ups, chat to people
about topics we find interesting and - most importantly - provide an
important service in helping people find a job they LOVE end up getting
exasperated and leaving. This is mostly because we are the intelligent
ones (it does help if your recruiter holds a degree or two from a good
uni. It's not foolproof - but a start) and means that you get left
dealing with the idiots.

Some advice from a recruiter that might help ease the blood pressure:

1.       Don't get angry at the idiots. Most of them can barely string a
sentence together and work in environments similar to a Victorian work
house. They see anger as a challenge, as they have the emotional
intelligence of a stone. Instead, say politely that you will not use
them ever. They will stop.

2.       Use this -
https://github.com/drcongo/spammy-recruiters/blob/master/spammers.txt

3.       Remember that a good recruiter is very easy to spot - they will
know what they are talking about, use only one method of communication
and will not argue, but listen and discuss.

4.       If they use 'brogrammer' chat - it probably makes them more of
an idiot than the actual idiots. This also applies if they are drinking
/ smoking cigars in their linkedin photo.

5.       If they offer lots of jobs at once - ignore them.

6.       If they don't share the company name - ignore them. This is to
"protect" them from having other recruiters knowing. If they work
closely with the company, this will not matter!

7.       If they say they like the look of your github - ask them why.
If they can't answer - ignore them.

8.       The levels of superlative use are in direct correlation with
the stupidity of the recruiter.

9.       Use recommendations - the best recruiters will be recommended
to developers by developers. This creates a basis for trust and helps
promote those that are worth speaking to!

10.   If you receive a message like the ones posted from anyone at my
company - let me know.

I hope this helps and would be happy to offer my services from this side
of the fence to anyone who seeks career advice, interesting places to
find a job, or the best agencies to speak to.

I only work in European mainland recruitment now - I couldn't bear the
vitriol here! But can recommend several agencies that will provide a
meaningful service to London based developers.

Kind regards,

Matthew Bradburn

Team Lead

Matthew.bradburn at njfeurope.com

NJF Europe Ltd

91-94 Saffron Hill, Clerkenwell, London, EC1N 8QP

+44 (0)20 7604 4444      Switchboard - London

+44 (0)20 7625 6666      Fax

+44 (0)20 3589 3223      Direct line

NJFEUROPEMB              Skype