[LRUG] Building gems on OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Thu Nov 7 04:50:44 PST 2013

On 7 Nov 2013, at 12:34, carlos <djmutiny at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also had this problem. The blog post that saved me: http://new-bamboo.co.uk/blog/2013/10/24/3-quick-tips-for-coding-with-os-x-10-9-mavericks

I’ve upgraded 3 development machines now, all of which had a full copy of XCode 5 installed before the Mavericks upgrade.

When nokogiri wouldn’t build on the first machine I upgraded I investigated and found that I need to accept the license agreement for the latest version of XCode. Until I’d accepted the license agreement gcc and friends weren’t available (you can do this at the command line - see blog post below).

On my second and third machines I just ran XCode after the Mavericks upgrade, accepted the license agreement in the GUI, let it install some extra bits, and never had a problem building anything. I didn’t need xcode-select at all (though you will if you don’t have a full XCode install).

I wrote a blog post explaining the symptoms and what I discovered. There are also a few comments at the bottom explaining how others dealt with it.

http://effectif.com/ruby/installing-nokogiri-on-mavericks

—-
Graham Ashton
Founder, Agile Planner