[LRUG] CMS for bespoke API

Ian Kynnersley iankynnersley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:31:14 PDT 2013

Thanks for all the useful responses. I'll definitely look into Active Model
Serializer.

Most of these replies rely on me creating a bespoke model structure in code
which is what I'm trying to avoid. Parse and Helios look interesting but
don't give me the admin interface that I need to allow totally non-techie
users to be able to manage the content themselves.

What I'm after would be a library that I can install in my app (or
something hosted like Parse / Helios) that instantly gives me my CMS.
Something a bit like Radiant maybe. I would then want to create my model
structure within that CMS such that admin users could add, remove and
update information easily. However, unlike a normal CMS which would render
the output as a website with some templates to alter the look and feel, I
want it to provide a JSON API.

The reason for all of this is that ownership of this app will be handed
over to a different company and they are (rightly) nervous about taking on
a completely bespoke application rather than a customised version of an
off-the-shelf product.

Perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist so your thoughts are
all very useful.

Thanks again
Ian

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep-11-2013, at 7:02 AM, Nick Novitski <nicknovitski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's also https://github.com/rails-api/active_model_serializers
>

> +1 on Active Model Serializer.
>
> Benefits:
> 1) Easily testable, and OO
> 2) Has access to current_user (or any other controller method via
> `scope'). This makes it possible for you to serialize based on who has
> requested the object
> 3) Works seamlessly with respond_with
> 4) If you have the same relation object multiple times on your object (say
> user can be created_by, updated_by, etc…) then you have a way to just
> `embed' the user once.
>
> Also, +1 on rails-api gem as well :-)
> --
> Tejas Dinkar
> http://www.nilenso.com
> Nilenso Software (formerly C42 Engineering)

Ian Kynnersley
http://iankynnersley.co.uk | +44 (0) 7973 420 829 |
http://twitter.com/kpopper