[LRUG] Keeping track of new security vulnerabilities?

Joel Chippindale joel.chippindale at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 07:17:11 PDT 2013

As I look more into bundler-audit and the ruby-advisory-db I am less
convinced of it's value in it's current state.

1. If you install bundler-audit it will NOT currently keep the version of
the ruby-advisory-db up to date, which means that even if new
vulnerabilities get added to the database you won't be aware of them and
there appears to be little movement on changing this [1]

2. The ruby-advisory-db suggests that it will aggregate advisories from
various sources but there does not appear to be much effort to keep it up
to date. For example a brief search of OSVDB [2] reveals many reported gem
vulnerabilities that are not included [3][4][5]

J.

[1] See the discussion on this pull request about 'live' data
https://github.com/rubysec/bundler-audit/pull/13
[2] http://www.osvdb.org
[3] Vulnerability with fog-dragonfly http://www.osvdb.org/show/osvdb/96798
[4] Vulnerability with sounder http://www.osvdb.org/show/osvdb/96278