[LRUG] CMS for bespoke API

James Higgs jameshiggs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 04:19:38 PDT 2013

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if this is interesting, but we (Made by Many) have an open source (MIT licence) browser-based rich content editor that we originally made for ITV News and released with their very kind permission. It's called Sir Trevor and it speaks JSON and Markdown for structured text.

A piece of content in Sir Trevor's world is composed of "blocks" and you can use the stock blocks or create your own. You can have a single instance of Sir Trevor per page, or many. Up to you.

We often use Sir Trevor inside a simple Rails admin using Devise for authentication and Inherited Resources to help us scaffold out CRUD functionality. It fits really well in this workflow.

I don't know what kind of content you're looking to capture, but there are built in block types for text, lists, tweets, YouTube videos, images and so on. You can easily create your own custom block types - which we've done a lot for ITV - to create completely tailored editing experiences if the built-in block types don't suffice.

We haven't really launched this officially, but it is in production use at ITV and on our own website.  It's also already being used by a few companies that are not our clients or associated with us. It has been through a fairly intense period of refactoring recently, so it's pretty clean.

There's also a gem that helps you use it in Rails really easily.

Take a look ad see if it might help. It doesn't sound like it's going to solve all of your problems, but it might be a pice of the jigsaw.

JS library: https://github.com/madebymany/sir-trevor-js
Rails Gem: https://github.com/madebymany/sir-trevor-rails

If it's interesting, I can can put you in touch with the guys who maintain it here and they'll provide you with help. Pull requests are very welcome.

Cheers,
James