[LRUG] CMS for bespoke API

Steve steve.laing at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:54:34 PDT 2013

I've used Radiant, Locomotive and Padrino for several different projects,
Padrino stands out. It's easy to customise, well documented, it's fast and
it comes with a basic admin CMS.
Radiant's extension ecosystem can be painful.
LocomotiveCMS is extremely impressive but sounds like overkill in this
instance.

On 11 September 2013 10:45, Jon Wood <jon at ninjagiraffes.co.uk> wrote:

> You've mentioned Radiant, what about that doesn't work for you? Personally
> I think your idea of using a standard CMS and creating JSON templates
> sounds pretty reasonable.
>
> Alternatively it might be worth seeing if any of the GDS people have ideas
> - this is a problem I'm sure I've heard of them dealing with, and all their
> code is open source. It might well be overkill for what you're doing though.
>
> Jon
>

> On 11 September 2013 10:31, Ian Kynnersley <iankynnersley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the useful responses. I'll definitely look into Active
>> Model Serializer.
>>
>> Most of these replies rely on me creating a bespoke model structure in
>> code which is what I'm trying to avoid. Parse and Helios look interesting
>> but don't give me the admin interface that I need to allow totally
>> non-techie users to be able to manage the content themselves.
>>
>> What I'm after would be a library that I can install in my app (or
>> something hosted like Parse / Helios) that instantly gives me my CMS.
>> Something a bit like Radiant maybe. I would then want to create my model
>> structure within that CMS such that admin users could add, remove and
>> update information easily. However, unlike a normal CMS which would render
>> the output as a website with some templates to alter the look and feel, I
>> want it to provide a JSON API.
>>
>> The reason for all of this is that ownership of this app will be handed
>> over to a different company and they are (rightly) nervous about taking on
>> a completely bespoke application rather than a customised version of an
>> off-the-shelf product.
>>
>> Perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist so your thoughts
>> are all very useful.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Ian
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM, Tejas Dinkar <tejasdinkar at gmail.com>wrote: