[LRUG] On json and yaml

Rory Sinclair rory at asmallworld.net
Tue Apr 29 08:28:04 PDT 2014

Agree with Sasha’s summary.  With regards ‘issues in interpretation when its parsed’, I think the key thing is to never modify yaml or json files by hand - always use the tooling to generate and write the files, even for simple modifications.  I’d say this goes for CSV too (non-obvious handling of commas in value data).

So, provided you use Ruby to actually generate, write and then read the yaml or json or <insert format> files, and provided those formats have rules to handle escaping / encoding problematic content, you should be fine.

HTH

Regards

--
Rory Sinclair