[LRUG] On json and yaml

Sasha Gerrand chat-lists.lrug.org at sgerrand.com
Tue Apr 29 06:48:40 PDT 2014

On 29 April 2014 08:25, MG Lim <mirageglobe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am building an automated bash script in ruby. Just wondering if anyone
> has pointers for using either json or yaml as store for this.
>
> for example....
>
> yaml
>
> list:
>   script a:
>     - clear
>
> or
> json
>
> {
>   "script": "clear"
> }
>
> Contents are all bash scripts with labels. My key concern is if there are
> issues in interpretation when its parsed.

It appears like you are building script runner which uses a hash for the
execution information, with the scripts to be executed as the keys and the
values/options being passed to the script as values or nested arrays of
values. I wouldn't see any major issues with using JSON or YAML as the
storage format, however there may be requirements for this runner which
haven't been detailed yet.