[LRUG] On json and yaml

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Tue Apr 29 08:56:29 PDT 2014

On 29 Apr 2014, at 16:49, Gabe da Silveira <gabe at websaviour.com> wrote:

> YAML.load("  FI: Finland\n  NO: Norway\n  SE: Sweden")

I haven’t run it, but I’m guessing `false: “Norway”` makes an appearance. Pony.

I didn’t want to be rude about Yaml earlier, but it should be actively avoided as a serialisation format. I was a bit shocked when I first discovered Rails used it as
such by default. It was a naïve choice.

It’s okay (I’d go as far as to say "quite useful") for config files. But Python’s approach (they wrote a module to parse an nice simple file format) is far safer.