[LRUG] De-lurking

Thomas Buckley-Houston tom at tombh.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 03:02:05 PDT 2014

Hello,

I want to post a job ad, but don't want that to be my first post here.
So I'm saying hi instead.

Hello, my name's Tom and I'm a Ruby programmer. My current passion is
Peas [1], a Ruby and Docker based PaaS. I built it because I got fed
up with the complexity of all the existing PaaS projects (Cloud
Foundry, Deis, Flynn, etc).

Ultimately I want to use Peas to build a PaaS (like Heroku) that has
public payment pages, so that people can crowdfund their hosting costs
in the same way Wikipedia does. Imagine an Internet where all our
essential services were 'nationalised', like Wikipedia. Things like
search and microblogging (think roads and hospitals) would no longer
have a conflict of interest between profiteers and users. It'd be a
great social experiment if nothing else.

I've already prototyped this crowdfunded PaaS with Deis under the name
Danabox [2]. But got fed up with Deis and made the insane decision to
build my own PaaS from scratch. In fairness Peas was clearly the right
thing to do because it got on the front page of Hacker News and spent
a couple of days as the second most popular repo on Github.

I've decided to leave my current job and I'm wondering whether I
should take the opportunity to Kickstart these 2 projects? As one
Kickstarter maybe? Hypothetically, would any of you throw a fiver at
this stuff?

tom :)

[1] https://github.com/tombh/peas
[2] https://github.com/danabox