[LRUG] [JOBS] A small job

Michael Pavling pavling at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 01:45:23 PDT 2014

Hiya,

A client of mine from many moons ago has asked me to assist in migrating a
little Rails app from a self-hosted machine machine to a new VM
infrastructure. I don't have the capacity to fit this in at the moment (and
I gather that time is a factor for them) so I thought I'd put it out here
to see if anyone might be interested.

It's a Rails 1.2 app with MySQL running on Ubuntu. No particularly exotic
gems AFAICR - except for the age of what's there.

It *should* just be a case of downing the current app, backing up the DB,
and migrating it. *but* they have no Linux skills in house, so you might
have to install the new OS on the new VM and even if they've done that,
you'll have to install/setup the DB and get Ruby (1.8.7 - but *maybe*
older...) and Rails 1.x (1.2, I think) installed.

They route some requests from their web site to the app for some XML
results, and have a UI that they use on the Intranet - but ensuring all the
network access is working, I would say would be their responsibility. If
you can show the app responding on the new server, that should be the limit
of the work.

So it shouldn't be a huge job - one day, maybe a little contingency.
But the trickiest bit is that they are in Basingstoke, and *might* prefer
to have someone there onsite doing the work (even though the new host is in
the "cloud").
If anyone is interested (particularly any HantsRB-ists lurking!), please
drop me a line offlist, and I'll put you in touch.

Regards,
Michael