[LRUG] [FINANCE] Startup/finance question around invoices

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Fri Aug 8 03:30:16 PDT 2014

I think your options depend, to an extent, on how much you want to keep working with this client in future.

In similar situations I've had success with:

- Cc'ing the finance director / person in charge of the accounts department on all emails (but maybe this person at your client is setting a policy of late payment, in which case this won't help).
- Giving a fair warning you'll go to the small claims court after X weeks of non-payment.
- Not doing any further work while invoices remain late.

You can't force the client to pay attention to you, but you can control whether you do any further work for them – and you can choose to go to court where they can force the client to pay you.

It's a sticky wicket – good luck.

Yours,
Andy Stewart