[LRUG] [JOBS] Contracts & Remote roles

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 04:08:55 PDT 2014

Pardon me for being a grump. But!

On 1 August 2014 11:37, Louis Goff-Beardsley <louis at infinitiumglobal.com>
wrote:

>  ·         Table football tables IN THE OFFICE.
>
> ·         I know that sounds crazy. These are work places and table
> football is a recreational activity. These companies break the rules and
> simply just don’t care.

That sounds awful.

I'm not in the market, but if I took this role and was trying to get work
done - and if I had signed a £500/day contract (equivalent to £100k/year on
200 work days/year), I would feel professionally obliged to ship code
pretty consistently - having a bunch of people next to my desk playing
table football would be incredibly distracting. I'd probably have to insist
on working from home.

I get it, work + play = less stress.

But, you know, we're here to work, right? And developers need peace and
quiet, yes? So how is being constantly interrupted a perk?

Or is getting work done a bit too boring these days? I'm clearly getting
old. :-)

>  ·         Relaxed dress code. Finally no need to wear a suit and tie
> every single day.

I haven't worn a tie every single day since I left school.

I don't think I have ever seen a Ruby developer in a suit and tie in a
professional context (weddings, etc., sure).

>   ·         Unique chance to be free and express yourself with clothes.

That sounds a little bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk

I'm also not sure it's that unique. Have you walked around Old Street
recently? Preeeeeeeeetty crazy fashions out there. There's a lot of
expression going on in this town.

 ·         Various locations around London.

Hackney AND Shoreditch? :-D