[LRUG] Equity/Stock/Share Options: Survey

Sam Phillips sam at samsworldofno.com
Sat Aug 2 04:00:36 PDT 2014

Hi LRUG,

I've had a few anecdotal conversations about equity (option) schemes over
the past few years and the way that they work in practice with real people
in real companies where relationships are sometimes complex.

I'm not so much thinking about whether or not these schemes are a good idea
or worth sacrificing salary for.

I'm hoping to come up with a more definitive view on what's going on so
have put together a simple survey. If you are part of a company option
scheme, or have been in the past, and could spend 2 minutes (it's 10 quick
questions) on it, that would awesome.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MFFGZSH

My motivation is to see if there are are trends in the way things are
happening and to allow us to share our experiences. My (broad) hypothesis
is that implementation of these schemes in practice is inconsistent across
companies. My detailed hypothesis I'll reveal when I have some data :)

I'll be sharing anonymised raw data (providing I actually get some, and
participants agree), and will hopefully be able to break this down with
some basic analysis too.

As a few of you know, I'm not a statistician, so this is not very
scientific! Any feedback on how to better collect this sort of data is
happily received although I'll probably not want to change the questions
half way through the sample period (again, you can tell me different if I'm
wrong!).

My aim right now is simply to get more data, learn more about what's going
on, and to maybe start an open conversation on the topic.

If you could take two minutes, that would be ace. Thank you so much!

Sam