[LRUG] Suggestion

Alice Bartlett alice.bartlett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 15:17:36 PST 2014

Hello,

ack, sorry I feel really weird about this. I'd quite like for this all to go away, and I'm a bit worried it's not going to, so here are some things:

1) This is minor. Like, I'm not mad, I don't even feel sad about this. I stood up and gave a talk that wasn't about ruby at LRUG because I thought it was interesting and I had a great time doing it. I was maybe a bit disappointed that the first question was "are you a ruby developer?". It could have been interpreted as "why are you here?" but I don't think it was meant that way. I was there, I looked at that guy and I thought "here is a genuinely curious person who is a bit confused about why I stood up and gave a talk about something completely un-programming related".

2) That question was sexist if you think that swapping me out with a man would not have resulted in the question being asked. I personally think this is the case, but there is no way to prove it. I've been going to various tech meetups for about six years, and I've been asked whose girlfriend I am or if I'm a designer, or a recruiter enough times to know that, yeah, a lot of people don't think I look like a developer, in fact they don't really think at all. And that's OK, we're all humans, swimming around in our cognitive biases, it's cool. I make these kinds of mistakes all the time and I'm actually *trying* to not be exclusionary through behaviours and language.