[LRUG] [JOBS] Extreme Programming Opportunities

Sleepy Fox sleepyfox at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 00:16:28 PST 2014

I don't believe in a "one true way" as you say. My first degree was in Physics, so the scientific method is, as I put it, close to my heart. I do scrutinise my own value, keep notes from project to project and try and figure out what works best based on context of client, project and organisation. I welcome honest open debate and constructive criticism. I've been doing this for 25 years, long enough to see the whole IT industry now embracing a fourth paradigm of software development, so I've been round this whole merry-go-round a few times now.

I apologise if the use of humour in my first post got on your nerves, or appeared condescending. "Humour is flat on the page" as one famous journalist wrote. I do stand by my original sentiment, which was that there are very many budget holders who don't possess the technical chops to know what good looks like. Those people are not my audience right now, and I'd be willing to bet believe that if you asked them what LRUG was, their answer would have something to do with Mexican textiles. It is these people who are the cause of the £800/day trainees, something which existed at Anderson's/Accenture a long time before Agile came about.

I find the various components of various methodologies to be useful tools, physical or mental, and find that a broad knowledge of tools, how to use them and where they are appropriate has helped me immensely, YMMV of course. I would not dismiss out of hand any new way of doing something, based upon its name, but rather give it a go and seek to understand what makes it work, how others make it work, and whether it is something I can make use of. I call this 'pragmatism'.

People here who've met me know that I, like many of us, sometimes struggle to make myself clear on the written page. If you'd like to chat about software development, and stories from the trenches, please find me at LRUG this Monday or at one of my code dojos and we'll see if we can't find some common ground, because I suspect that despite what's been written, we're both fairly close in terms of our actual perspectives.

All the best,

Nigel Runnels-Moss
@sleepyfox