[LRUG] [jobs] In-house recruiting for FutureLearn, Stripe, GDS, Twilio

Thayer Prime thayer at team-prime.com
Mon Jan 13 04:55:48 PST 2014

<tl;dr>Jobs at smart, thoughtful places full of genuinely lovely
technologists. £40-75k - full descriptions below. Drop me a line if
you're interested in knowing more about any of the companies, teams,
structures, cultures etc - we work in partnership style with our
clients: think part of their team, not "traditional" rec agency. None
of these are commission based roles with us, so you can trust we're
completely impartial from any money sway.</tl;dr>

Howdy,

We're building (permanent) teams right now and hunting out smart ruby
developers. All roles listed in synopsis detail below - to find out
more drop me an email.

** FutureLearn - http://futurelearn.com/about - £40-75k

FutureLearn is an Open University backed startup that will provide an
engaging and innovative educational experience online. 25 top tier
universities have already signed up to offer their courses for free
through us. FutureLearn is in beta and the courses we'll be running
this year – there are many more on the way – are all pilot courses.
This allows us to shape and refine how it all works, using feedback
and ideas from our learners. It is important to us to craft a high
quality product which is tailored specifically to our learners’ needs,
so we want to spend the time listening.

You'll be joining a new team with lots of room to carve out the role
that interests you most and help choose the other members of the team
you will be working with. We all value working with really talented
people and so expect everyone we hire to be very good. The team
culture is very much one of collaboration and so you will be able to
help shape the processes we use and the product we build.

Over the coming year we will face a number of key challenges from
migrating to an appropriate architecture to enable us to scale
massively, to designing innovative social learning experiences, to
providing data and analysis to our partners to help them improve
learning outcomes, and you'll be involved in solving all of these.

** Stripe - https://stripe.com/ team - https://stripe.com/about -
£industry senior standard or above (we're not at liberty to discuss
this publicly)

I'm looking for highly motivated senior engineers (language agnostic)
ready to jump into one of the most disruptive payments companies
solving some really interesting problems. The role is best suited to
someone who's both bright & smart but doesn't make others feel they
aren't, and would like to be part of the amazing ride of what will be
a hugely successful (or even more successful I should say) high growth
company. I don't mind whether you've got 2 years or 20 years
experience, so please don't be put off chatting if you're fresh out of
school or a seasoned veteran. The main thing to be one of the
strongest programmers you know, who's looking to work as part of a
tech team built mostly from global top tier universities.

You'd like working at Stripe if...:

You love having data to back up an argument. You're a strong believer
in knowing the numbers and what they mean. You are highly analytical.
You are naturally curious. If something seems off, you want to figure
out what is going on and fix it. You are very comfortable manipulating
and interpreting data. You have a passion for coding, and experience
working on large systems. You realize that 95% of scaling is doing
nitty-gritty detail work. You have an interest in financial systems.
You feel comfortable communicating with customers and partners. You're
able to enunciate complex issues in clear, non-technical language.

** GDS - http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/working-for-gds/ - up to £60k ovno

The Government Digital Service is a (relatively) new team within
Cabinet Office tasked with transforming government digital services.
We've grown from 20-460 and rising in 2.5 years. We're transforming
government from the heart, and it's really good fun (not to mention
massively needed and worthwhile).

We're looking for engineers to code in ruby, but you may have a
different background. We're open to switchers. You'll have 3+ years
experience, and be ready to solve some really brain-aching problems,
especially around concurrency and huge transactional scaling :)

To give you an idea of what you may get involved in, in the last year, GDS has:

• built GOV.UK, the simpler, clearer and faster home of services and
information for UK citizens and winner of the 2013 Design of the Year
- http://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/2013/designs-of-the-year-2013
• coordinated the delivery of the UK government's digital strategy -
http://publications.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digital/
• published a service design manual containing guidance for teams
throughout the civil service
• worked with other government departments to complete discovery on 25
services that are being transformed to be “digital by default” and
begun building alphas and customer facing betas of those services
To find out what else we've delivered, visit http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk

** Twilio - http://www.twilio.com/company/jobs - up to £70k

Twilio is providing a platform for building modern,
communications-enabled applications that are cloud based, scalable,
and focused on great user experience. More than 200,000 developers
have signed up to be a part of this disruption, building everything
from call centres (Zendesk) to SMS notifications (Uber). Twilio
customers include great brands like airbnb, eBay, Hulu, Intuit,
LinkedIn, Quora, Sony, SurveyMonkey, Trulia and WalmartLabs.
Twilio is energizing the $1.3 trillion telecom market. Come help us
change communications forever.

We're helping them find developer advocates. You don't have to have
any prior experience in engagment or evangelism work, they give full
training. But you do need to be a solid senior engineer who is strong
enough to give live demos on and off stage, and write code that will
be seen by tens of thousands of developers. Full role here:
http://www.team-prime.com/jobs/developer-evangelist/ - really exciting
for someone who want to travel, go to lots of conferences, loves
teaching.

</phew>

If you made it this far, that's quite astonishing, well done.

These are just synopsis of each company, with some of my thoughts
added - but I know each company very closely, have worked with them
onsite, know their structures and cultures. So if you're interested in
any drop me an email and we can set up a chat to see if you're keen.

Thanks for your time.

--
Thayer Prime

http://www.linkedin.com/in/thayerprime