[LRUG] [JOBS] Lead Developer at Picfair

Benji Lanyado benjilanyado at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 03:19:56 PDT 2014

Hello LRUGgers

Picfair <https://www.picfair.com/> is looking for a Ruby developer.

*What?*

Picfair is a recently-funded
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/08/picfair-raises-520k-to-take-on-getty-with-an-image-marketplace/>
(investors
include Alexis Ohanian, Reddit founder) image licensing marketplace,
connecting photographers directly to buyers. I'm sorry to do this, but the
analogy works: it's AirBnB for images. We are gunning for Shutterstock and
Getty - they constrict supply and take the vast majority of royalties in a
$6bn market. We do neither, and want to take that market from them.

Picfair is very young, but already has 50,000 ridiculously good
<https://www.picfair.com/posts/best-of-2013-picfair-picks-images-of-the-future>
images
uploaded by 4,000 photographers in 60 different countries. We've made them
thousands of pounds already, have had images licensed from website
backgrounds to newspaper front pages. We've barely even started. The next
few years are going to be incredibly exciting.

*Who*

I'm Benji, the founder of the company: a recovering journalist (NYT,
Guardian - I still dabble, when I feel like kicking Tech City
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/30/tech-city-subsidise-code-schools-year-of-code>)
who learnt how to code
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3013699/open-company/how-this-journalist-turned-coder-built-his-startup-for-6000>
in
order to build the site. Yes - *gasp* - a CEO who codes.

So far, Team Picfair are four: a brilliant and disconcertingly young junior
designer/developer <https://www.behance.net/jcklydesign>; an equally
brilliant and disconcertingly young Growth Marketer
<https://twitter.com/MissEm_ma>; an Editorial Manager
<https://www.picfair.com/users/salxhart>with the eye of a Guggenheim
curator; and me. We work in a very fun shared workplace in Shoreditch
<https://twitter.com/benjilanyado/status/476673719059099648>, alongside 10
other startups.

The phenomenal Rik Lomas <https://twitter.com/riklomas> has been looking
after Picfair's product for the last few months, and is now off to launch
something new (watch this space, you'll love it), so, we're looking for a

*Lead Developer*

Picfair currently has a single aim: do whatever it takes to get sh*t loads
of good images onto the site, building up to a benchmark when the company's
focus can swing to the other side of the market, launching an all-pronged
attack on the industry incumbents.

Picfair's Lead Developer will oversee and build a variety of things that
will get it there. The challenges are big - we want to be managing millions
of images, uploaded from thousands of locations, very soon. We are looking
for someone who is as skilled at writing code as they are at organisation:
Picfair is a Get Sh*t Done company.

- 5 years min RoR experience
- Excellent code/deployment planning and management skills
- Very good Javascript (Backbone/jQuery), good front end skills, and good
design/UX instinct
- Experience in scaling web apps & DBs from quite big to REALLY BIG.
- Someone who is passionate about what they do.
- Competitive salary & EMI scheme

If you're interested, please send over your CV and Github. Looking forward
to hearing from you.

Benji Lanyado
Founder, Picfair.com
benjlabs.com