[LRUG] Managing processes from cucumber

John Cinnamond jc at panagile.com
Fri Jul 18 07:23:20 PDT 2014

Hello Lruggers

Does anyone know of a gem to manage starting/stopping/interacting with
processes from cucumber? I want to write features along the lines of:

    Given some_process is running
        And my fake_third_party_service is running
        And some_other_process is stopped
    When I make a request
        And I start some_other_process
    Then I see a message on the fake third party server
        And the output from some_other_process is "OK"

Where the gem can starts & stops processes and redirect stdio.

I have written something similar on a project to do full end-to-end testing
of a RESTful API service. Before I tidy it up and gem-ify it I want to make
sure that there isn't something similar out there that I could
use/contribute to. I tried searching for gems with 'cucumber' in the name
and looking on The Ruby Toolbox but couldn't find anything, although I
could have missed it.

Thanks,
John