[LRUG] Separate list for JOBS?

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Tue Jul 15 13:14:19 PDT 2014

This has come up in the past, and while it’s certainly OK to discuss it again, the conclusion we came to in the past was that people could set up email filters using the subject keyword “[JOBS]” if they wanted a little less job-type-stuff in their inbox. If people are trying this and still seeing problems, then we’d definitely want to look at alternatives, but as far as we know, filtering has kept the peace pretty well for the last few years.

Murray and ensure that keyword is present with extreme vigilance behind the scenes, so those of you who do not want to hear about new positions are as insulated from them as reasonably possible, without inadvertently penalising the silent majority (we have ~1350 members at time of writing) who don’t seem to mind and, indeed, might be interested in what other opportunities are available.

If we mandate that jobs are posted to a new, distinct list, that would require some fairly significant hurdles to be overcome:

a) getting people to sign up to that list;
b) communicating to new people about the presence and reasoning behind the two lists;
c) introducing the new mis-step of posting jobs *and* non-jobs to the wrong list by both ruby-loving folk *and* job-bearing folk respectively.

In an ideal world*, two lists would doubtless work delightfully, and we would’ve set it up that way from the start. Unfortunately I’m not sure we can get there from here without a prohibitively large disruption to the workings of the list.

Would setting up an email filter be sufficient to improve things for you personally, gvim?

— James

* In an ideal world the email address for this list wouldn’t be “chat”, but instead “lrug” or “list", but some quirks of history are just too much trouble to be undone so many years later! :)