[LRUG] [JOBS] Experienced Rails engineer @ Silicon Milkroundabout

Pete Smith pete at siliconmilkround.com
Thu Jul 24 03:48:14 PDT 2014

TL;DR: seeking back-end engineer to lead development of our Rails product
suite

  #############################
  # Who are we?
  #############################

Many of you will know siliconmilkroundabout.com. We're the jobs fair for
software developers, product managers, designers and marketers interested
in working for UK tech startups.

Well, we're expanding to other cities over the next year, and as the
business takes off we're cleaning house and bringing in someone experienced
to establish a strong culture of developing software the right way.

  #############################
  # Who we’re looking for
  #############################

We’re looking for an engineer with experience of the usual tech stack ­
AWS, Heroku, Github, Postgres, Rails and JavaScript ­to manage and develop
our suite of products. You’ll be strong with development and devops,
confident adding features to Rails apps, managing processes such as cron
jobs, queuing and database migrations. You’ll move us to continuous
integration, test driven development and automated server configuration,
ensuring everything keeps working as we migrate. You’ll have a solid
disaster recovery plan, but you’ll do what it takes to ensure we don’t need
to use it.

You’re might not call yourself a front­end or full­stack developer, but
you’re comfortable updating existing views and adding whole new user flows
to an app. You’re happy to roll your sleeves up and use jQuery and Twitter
Bootstrap to get the job done. You know enough CSS to make it look tidy,
but you’re not trying to win design awards for your work - you’re happy
when everything’s working.

  #############################
  # Why we’re hiring
  #############################

We’ve worked with four freelancers in two years, have done a few too many
rewrites and maybe didn’t think carefully enough about our build versus buy
decisions. We’re looking to put that right. We need someone who can join us
for the long term, a safe pair of hands to fix up our systems and fill in
the gaps, then take our technology platform to the next level as our
company grows. You’ll start working on the SMR product suite, including a
B2C web app, a sales CRM, candidate vetting tools and an event check­in
app. We also have a public API, event tools, B2B site, data visualisations
and a range of microsites in the pipeline. We hope you’ll help shape our
roadmap, and as we’re a small team, you’ll join in conversations on
everything from our marketing, expansion plans and event experience.

  #############################
  # Must have
  #############################

- Experience with AWS, Heroku, Github, Postgres, Rails and JavaScript
- Experience building and maintaining reliable, performant, secure web apps
- Committed to writing elegant, maintainable code with great test coverage
- Reasonable front­end development skills with HTML, CSS, JavaScript,
jQuery and Bootstrap - enough to get the job done

  #############################
  # We're offering
  #############################

We want to talk both to people “mid-level and ready for a challenge”, and
“senior and ready to build out their own manicured tech garden”.

Our salary range of £40k-£75k reflects that. You will also be able to
choose your level of participation in our employee equity scheme, which
allows you to ‘buy’ more as your confidence in us grows.

All the usual startup perks - a nice office in Shoreditch just off Hoxton
Square, a £2,000 equipment budget to buy whatever you need (Mac, Linux,
desktop, laptop, dual monitors… whatever you’re comfortable with), coffee,
and table tennis.

Interested? Email pete at siliconmilkround.com, introducing yourself.

/END