[LRUG] Writing readable feature tests with RSpec

James McCarthy james at lety.co
Fri Jul 25 03:32:58 PDT 2014

I have never been sold on cucumber, it just seems like testing mastrubation.

Unit testing and some integration testing yes but much more than that is
it becomes and end to itself, testing for the sake of writing tests.

James.
On 25/07/14 11:16, James Turley wrote:
> It's an interesting approach. I too have been suspicious of cucumber
> in terms of adding an extra dependency and an extra stage to the
> testing process. Readability for non-technical people is not a problem
> I've faced directly, though.
>
> I guess if you did want to optimise for code reuse, you could abstract
> common factory/setup methods into a module and include that?
>

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Joel Chippindale
> <joel.chippindale at futurelearn.com
> <mailto:joel.chippindale at futurelearn.com>> wrote:
>
>     We recently blogged about how, at FutureLearn, we write readable
>     feature tests with RSpec*, see
>     https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/how-we-write-readable-feature-tests-with-rspec/,
>     and it made me wonder how common this approach was.
>
>     Are any of you using this approach already? If so, how are you
>     finding it?
>
>     J.
>

>     * Hat tip to the developers at Econsultancy who introduced me to
>     this way of using RSpec.

James McCarthy

Software Engineer

LetyCo - Analyse, Build, Deliver
Ruby/Rails software for London and the SouthEast.

Mob:  07577006897

Email:  james at lety.co

lety.co