[LRUG] How we safely upgraded to Rails 4 without downtime

Ed James ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:11:16 PDT 2014

Hi all

A while ago I asked a question regarding “intelligent load balancing” (that was the email’s subject fwiw) and got some very useful feedback. I wanted to follow that up with some info regarding how we at vzaar rolled out a Rails-4 upgrade to production without any downtime. The upgrade was done on an application serving millions of requests per day.

Here’s how we did it: http://vzaar.com/blog/2014/07/25/upgraded-rails-4-without-downtime/

Hopefully this is useful for some of you.

…and for those of you who replied to my original post, thank you! I’d be happy to buy you a beer when I’m next at LRUG (this does not mean you should reply to that original post now to get a free beer ;)

Ed.