[LRUG] Open Source and the Enterprise

Kerry Buckley kerryjbuckley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:22:13 PDT 2014

On 30 July 2014 at 00:53:32, Alan Buxton (alanbuxton at gmail.com) wrote:
I made the transition from Startup to Enterprise recently (my company was acquired). So far so good.

The challenge I have now is that the Enterprise finds Open Source a bit tricksy. Hard for a company that is used to having suppliers or internal teams with SLAs and IP controls to handle the idea of using open source. However they do appreciate that Open Source is important and is going to grow.
…
Rather nebulous, I know, which is why I’m interested in soliciting your views on this. Presumably the GDS or BBC or whoever people have already figured this all out, right?
If it helps, a summary of BT’s open source policy is publicly available:

	http://www.selling2bt.bt.com/Downloads/BTOpenSourcePolicyextractsforsuppliersIssue1.pdf

As you’d expect, actual behaviour varies a lot across the organisation – where I work we use open source tools almost exclusively, but other areas are more conservative (maybe they take the thing about having to get approval to use a specific tool or library a bit too literally…)

JP Rangaswami covers the decision about when to DIY vs using open source here:

	http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2007/08/04/build-versus-buy-versus-opensource/

	(TL;DR: https://twitter.com/jobsworth/status/312916152403759104 )

And while looking for that post, I came across this from GDS, which links to it:

	https://gds.blog.gov.uk/2012/10/12/coding-in-the-open/

Kerry