[LRUG] Open Source and the Enterprise

Sasha Gerrand chat-lists.lrug.org at sgerrand.com
Tue Jul 29 22:22:08 PDT 2014

On 30 Jul 2014 00:53, "Alan Buxton" <alanbuxton at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have a mini project right now to put together some policy guidelines
for The Enterprise on using open source to cover things like

> ·         When is it appropriate to use it (e.g. in certain industries it
might be less appropriate)

> ·         What should you consider when choosing a piece of open source
technology

> ·         From an IP point of view how would you make the tradeoff
between building something using open source components vs creating it
yourself from scratch

In my experience, the biggest issue that "Enterprise" companies have with
open source software revolves around the licencing (chained or otherwise).
Everything else is secondary.

* YMMV

- Sasha