[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby role(s) at FutureLearn

Thayer Prime thayer at team-prime.com
Thu Jun 26 08:44:11 PDT 2014

Hi LRUG

<tl;dr>We're helping build the team at FutureLearn
(https://www.futurelearn.com/) and keen to hear from mid level to
senior level ruby developers who are interested in a permanent
role*.</tl;dr>

## Here's the skinny:

FutureLearn is a small Open University backed startup dedicated to
offering free online university level education to all. We’re a
company that values its employees and so we give people plenty of
flexibility and autonomy and support them in their ongoing career
development. Our very talented team maintain an open and collaborative
culture and so you will be expected to help shape the processes we use
and the product we build.

FutureLearn launched in Sep 2013 and over the coming year we will face
a number of key challenges, from scaling the platform, to designing
innovative social learning experiences, to providing data and analysis
to our partners to help them improve learning outcomes, and you’ll be
involved in solving all of these.

Although the core skill we are looking for is your ability to develop
with Ruby we also expect everyone on the team to be able to offer more
than this, for example you may also have expertise in developing
maintainable JavaScript and CSS which will enable you to work more
closely with our front end developers.

We also expect you to be keen to share what you already know to the
rest of the team and to be eager to learn more.

## Things you may have that will put you in good stead for the work needed:

* Expertise with deploying large scale systems to AWS
* Experience of using or building online learning environments
* Experience of working in a continuous deployment environment
* Experience of using data analysis to improve products
* Experience of building service orientated architecture based systems
* Extensive experience building software with other languages/frameworks
* Expertise in producing maintainable CSS and JavaScript
* A demonstrable passion for learning

## Things you'll get on top of building a great product:

* Salary £35-75k dependent on experience
* 28 days holiday
* Pension
* Working with an ace collaborative team led by @joelchippindale
including folks such as @czetter, @mseckington, @eightbitraptor,
@knotnicky, @jcoglan and more.

If you'd like to chat about it drop me an email with your CV and why
you're keen on the role, and we can schedule a call to discuss it in
detail and see if it's something you'd like to go forward for.

Cheers
Thayer

* that sounds weird. You don't have to stay FOREVER. A few years would
be nice, though.

--
Thayer Prime

http://www.linkedin.com/in/thayerprime