[LRUG] [JOBS] Looking for a Ruby developer

Rory Sinclair rory at asmallworld.net
Fri Jun 6 02:31:56 PDT 2014

Hi Scott,

I think the point everyone is trying to make - with varying degrees of subtlety - is that your original ad stipulated a degree in CS, SE or related subject, which Bronwyn and yourself then contradicted.  I think the take-away is to omit that from job ads in future, if you genuinely feel that such a thing isn’t an absolute prerequisite.

To make sure I wasn’t being a Massive Hypocrite, I just checked our own job ads - we stipulate ‘degree educated’, since we prefer people who have been to university, though we don’t require that degree to be in anything specific.  (In fact, our most senior engineer has a degree in Music).  In light of recent discussions, we may remove this stipulation entirely, however, or reword it to make it clear that a degree would be seen as a plus, not a requirement.

Best of luck with the hiring!

Regards

--
Rory Sinclair