[LRUG] Intelligent load balancing

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Tue Mar 4 08:04:21 PST 2014

Hi Ed

We make heavy use of HAProxy, although not for that exact use case.

HAProxy can be configure to listen on a separate socket which you can use
to interrogate/control it. So, I think you could write a script to monitor
whatever conditions you like, and send commands to HAProxy to tell it how
to route traffic, on the fly.

The socket protocol looks really simple;

http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/configuration-1.5.html#9.2

Aside from that, HAProxy is extremely fast, very robust and pretty simple
to configure. I'd definitely recommend it.

Hope this helps

David