[LRUG] Assset pipeline

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Fri Mar 7 03:39:22 PST 2014

*>  either ignore the asset pipeline altogether for these images (by
keeping them in public/images/articles/)*

AFAIK you don't lose any big benefit from working like this. The big wins
from the asset pipeline come from automatic css/js concatenation I think.

*> or find a way to evaluate Rails's asset_path() helper within my markdown
text.*

Possible, but a bit hairy. In this case I think you'd probably end up
evaluating ERB within your markdown. That will mean you're embedding ERB,
within markdown, within HAML, which has got to offend some deity somewhere.

*> What's the preferred approach here?*

Not sure if it's preferred and it won't help you in this case, but after
making a version of a "markdown website with Rails" more times than I could
count with duplicate code all over the place, I've decided I'm just going
to use nesta CMS <http://nestacms.com>. It appears the venn diagram of mine
and Graham's (the author) taste in templating language, project structure,
etc. has a large enough intersection that I'm happy with the defaults 99%
of the time.

-Ali