[LRUG] Speeding up Cucumber

Jon Wood jon at ninjagiraffes.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 05:41:13 PDT 2014

Hello El Rug,

I'm currently at my wits end with a Cucumber suite, but I also don't have
any decent ideas on how to improve it. Running a really simple feature
which loads a page and asserts some content is found currently takes over
two minutes, which as I'm sure you can imagine makes doing BDD properly
quite awkward.

To give a little context this is a Rails 2.3 application, running on Ruby
1.8. Upgrading to a newer version of Ruby is in the backlog, but isn't a
viable option right now.

So, does anyone have any tips on speeding things up, or even just working
out where I should start working to speed them up?

Thanks,
Jon