[LRUG] Speeding up Cucumber

Peter Vandenabeele peter at vandenabeele.com
Fri Mar 14 08:07:21 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Steve Tooke <steve.tooke at gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is taking a significant amount of time you can ease the startup
> costs using spring or Zeus as suggested.

Regarding spring, zeus and spork ...

Zeus works OK with rspec, rake, console etc. but we failed
to get it to work properly with guard (which I consider quite
useful for true TDD).

OTOH, getting spring to work with guard was a breeze and
is a real pleasure to work with:

  http://girders.org/blog/2014/02/06/setup-rails-41-spring-rspec-and-guard/

(`time spring rspec` #=> 0.612 total
#*TDD*<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TDD&src=hash>)

I also have less happy experiences with spork in 2 different contexts
(I essentially turn it off after a while), not always seeing certain
changes.

So "spring" is the clear winner for me in this field.

HTH,

Peter