[LRUG] Ruby on Rails - performance tuning advice

Rory Sinclair rory at asmallworld.net
Wed Mar 26 08:43:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

We’ve been doing some performance enhancement of our platform lately, which is a two-tier architecture (JSON API backend, Rails frontend web app).  Here’s whats helped:

On the client tier:

- using the yslow plugin for Firebug to identify things we needed to tweak on the web side (CDN for static assets, using a separate domain for assets, etc)

- reducing quality on large images to get the sizes down - this was a big deal, since all the usual ‘lossless’ compression tools were saving us next to nothing

- caching API responses - shared cache for public stuff / stuff thats the same for all users, and a per-user cache for ‘private’ stuff

- prefetching API endpoint data in parallel to warm caches

On the API back-end tier:

- using Ruby-Prof - https://github.com/ruby-prof/ruby-prof - to spit out useful HTML graphs of where time is being spent

- using Bullet - https://github.com/flyerhzm/bullet - to identify cases where we should be eager loading but weren’t

- JMeter to hit every API endpoint multiple times concurrently, and graph average response times to identify

- generally reducing cruft, simplifying code paths, auditing code to ensure we’re not doing unnecessary work, etc

Thanks Graham for the tip about Rack Mini Profiler - will check that out.

Regards

--
Rory Sinclair
Head of Technology