[LRUG] Startup Timeline

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Mon Mar 3 12:56:59 PST 2014

I'm mostly just playing at this entrepreneurship thing (i.e. my goals are
somewhat modest[0] and I don't have the risk tolerance to bet the farm on
any single idea) so take from that what you will, but I've got more failed
products swimming around in my home directory than I'd care to enumerate.

My general rule for any business idea now is that I need money in the bank
(i.e. pre-orders) before I write a line of code/material/whatever. Think of
it as test-driven business: prove the business case first and then create
the content or software to meet the demand. This talk by Patrick McKenzie
from MicroConf 2012 <http://vimeo.com/47311461> (from about 08:00 to 14:30)
details how he learned to do it when doing custdev for Appointment
Reminder<https://www.appointmentreminder.org/>,
which by all accounts is doing quite well.  This strategy has also worked
quite well for the training offerings and consulting packages (not time and
materials development work) I've been busy with lately.

If I was going to focus on building a SaaS product I'd try to pick a market
where I can make an offer that fits within the constraints that Jason Cohen
(of A Smart Bear and WPEngine) outlines in this
talk<http://vimeo.com/74338272> (also
from MicroConf, but 2013 instead).

Cheers,

P.S. This is kind of off-topic for LRUG, so if this sort of thing interests
you then we have a monthly support group that meets near Chancery Lane
every month: bootstrappedbusinessmeetup.com

[0]: Well, modest compared to the default raise lots of funding, swing for
the fences and get acquired by AmaGooBookSoft for Scrooge McDuck money
strategy. I'd be content with a "lifestyle" business i.e. a couple of
million a year in annual revenue plus a house near a beach with a study and
a workshop