[LRUG] Rails - The Missing Parts

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 06:05:31 PST 2014

I really liked the post. It’s very much in line with where we want to go in terms of organising well-defined workflows into service objects.

For me, the key point in the reddit pro-vs-con discussion is not necessarily the size or complexity of the application, but rather what it does for the application. If a change - whether it be a new class, abstraction layer, whatever - reduces complexity, improves tests and makes your application easier to maintain, then you’ve already answered the question about whether you should use it. Even using specific code examples is somewhat meaningless (which is what DHH was asking for) because you are missing the context of the application and the pain of maintaining that application.

Maintenance pain (and therefore cost) is a powerful driver for change. A lot of the time, no pain means little reason to change.

Ed