[LRUG] Ruby on Rails - performance tuning advice

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Wed Mar 26 08:14:42 PDT 2014

> On 26 Mar 2014, at 14:02, Nicholas Martin <nic_i_like_to_ at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, the challenge is finding what things will give us the best results.  For example, in the work we have done so far, code changes to aggregate data have helped a lot, caching less so.

As others have already said, you need to measure things before you act.

The best tool I've come across for measuring performance of Rails apps is Rack MiniProfiler.

https://github.com/miniprofiler/rack-mini-profiler

I recommend watching the RailsCast to get yourself up to speed.

It's so quick and easy to install and use that I run it permanently in development, which helps me avoid big performance related oversights when building new features.

You'll obviously get different performance characteristics in production, with production hardware and the real users' data. Unlike most profiling tools, Rack MiniProfiler has been designed to run in production too.

> Any advice, based on experience would be most appreciated.  Any form would be of interest, from a short reply, to a chat over a coffee or even potentially a day or so of consultancy.

I'd be happy to take a look at it on a consultancy basis if you like – ping me an email if you're interested. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of hours with the profiler highlighted your low hanging fruit though...

Cheers,
Graham