[LRUG] Startup Timeline

Matthew Rudy Jacobs matthewrudyjacobs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 05:55:24 PST 2014

This is not really about Ruby.

So, I'll give you one data point,
and it was my first end-to-end startup experience.
And in retrospect there were a lot of things we did wrong

   - launching too late
   - quitting too soon

The project was entirely Ruby and Rails, with custom bits of jQuery to
stitch the interaction together.

(if I did it again, I'd do it in Ember)

Importantly they already had enough cash on hand to run for a year
(otherwise they couldn't have afforded me)

Refer.me: (March - November 2012)

   - month 0: ideation - 0 devs (just the client)
   - month 1: prototypes and rapid concept iteration - 1 dev (me)
   - months 2 & 3: build out a working product - 1 dev (me)
   - months 4: make it pretty and soft-launch - 2 devs (me + f/e dev) + 1
   designer
   - months 5 & 6: make it more robust - 4 devs (me + f/e + 2 ruby devs) +
   1 designer
   - month 7: present at TC Disrupt and respond to feedback - 4 devs + 1
   designer
   - month 8: pivot