[LRUG] Startup Timeline

Alan Buxton alanbuxton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:06:18 PST 2014

First off - people build all kinds of successful businesses in all kinds of
different ways.

My bias is towards building a profitable business and bootstrapping as far
as you can go. Most successes I've seen or been a part of have had minimal
outside investment. One CEO I worked for even raised *all* his expansion
capital through selling stock to employees. You will need investment at some
point but just better to put it off until later as it always comes with
strings attached. Better to be looking for money when you aren't desparate
for it.

To be honest I don't think 3-5 years is very long. Lottery-win-style
businesses aside you would do well to hunker down for 5 or 10 years of hard
graft with various pivots along the way before you get your big exit. Though
I'm puzzled - why do you even worry about whether the media is going to
report it as an overnight success?

Probably obvious but worth saying: Make sure you really are the domain
expert in the area you are trying to work on. Which, for someone on this
list, probably means you are either working with a  co-founder who has the
inside track on a specific business problem or user behaviour, or that you
are building tools for developers.

I want to amplify Paul's point about being conservative about costs etc: You
absolutely need to realise that everything takes longer and costs more than
you think. Everything.

On which note - a very successful entrepreneur once told me his one single
golden rule about running businesses: "never run out of cash". Everything
else is noise. He was exaggerating of course but there's more than a nugget
of truth in there.