[LRUG] Intelligent load balancing

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 06:29:43 PST 2014

Hi all

We make heavy use of AWS services and we are finding that ELB is not quite meeting our needs. ELB allows some level of control over traffic, but it’s dumb in the sense that it’s done purely on load. You cannot put any real logic into ELB. What we want is to direct a user’s requests based on an application setting - this could be in the db, memcache, redis, whatever. The retrieval of the setting is another problem I think. It’s the logic around that setting's value that I’m interested in.

We are doing a large upgrade of our platform and we want to run both the new version and old version in production in parallel. We want to control which customers get to see the new version and slowly increase the number of customer who can. If there is a problem we can just send all traffic back to the old version in an instant. This could just as easily apply to large feature deployments.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of use-case?

Thanks,
Ed.